Monday, September 13, 2010

Battle lines

Cry havoc and let slip the tubas of war!
It's been a long time since I reported from the front line in the War On Innumeracy.  But last Friday we had a marathon 7 hours straight of respiratory medicine from a Distinguished Physician, so of course after the first 3 hours my brain filled up and went to the happy place where all it does is trawl through my life looking for bloggable material. 

I was snapped back to reality when the Distinguished Physician said, "The terrible thing about asbestos and smoking in terms of your lung cancer risk is that they amplify each others' effects, making them synergistic.  For example, if asbestos made your risk ten times higher and smoking made your risk six times higher, then smoking and asbestos together make your risk sixty times higher."

Well, sorry to break it to you Dr Smart-Guy, but what you just described would mean that smoking and asbestos are independent risks rather than synergistic ones.  Did I stand up and blaze away at him with the Holy Machine-Gun Of Mathematics?  No, I kept my mouth shut, for two reasons:
  1. In the War On Innumeracy I'm deep undercover.  So deep that sometimes I'm unsure if I'm fighting for the right side any more.
  2. He's probably going to be marking us in the OSCE at the end of the year and the last thing I need is for him to write me off as that smart-arsed bastard who corrected his arithmetic the moment I walk through the door.
Still, I expect more of you, Gentle Reader.  If someone abuses mathematical jargon in your presence today, let them have it with both metaphorical barrels!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actuarially speaking, you are both wrong. Fry them taters and eat them crispy with seblen times the salt you'd normally use.

PTR said...

I'm wrong? Please explain!

Anonymous said...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2752945/

You can probably jump down to the section titled "Models for non-interactive joint effects"

PTR said...

Okay, so it seems that the epidemiologists would agree with me, which is reassuring, because that's how an engineer would have figgered it as well.

In any case, I think we're getting a little intense for what is essentially a light-hearted blog...

Anonymous said...

the mathematical marauder wuz here.

Anonymous said...

Bam!

PTR said...

You're all a bunch of loons.

Anonymous said...

As part of my war on uninformed use of collective nouns, I have to warn you that you have the right to remain silent...

It's not a bunch of loons. Flowers come in bunches.

I think you meant to say an "asylum of loons".