Thursday, July 29, 2010

Poppers

Something that I think is pretty strange about South Australians is the way they refer to Poppers as Fruit Boxes.  In case you have no idea what's going on here, I'm talking about the little cardboard cartons filled with fruit juice.  Where I come from we call them Poppers because that was the dominant brand.  Here they call them something else, but for the same reason.  Confusing. 

It was even more confusing when my Smaller Half and I were walking through the red light district of Paris a while back and saw a lot of signs advertising "poppers" and "zingers".  Turns out they were not talking about beverages or chicken burgers.

Anyway, it annoys me that the name Fruit Box is so literal.  Do you think László Bíró would be the man he is today if he'd called his invention Ink Tube?  No.

So I was sitting here just now slurping on a Fruit Box.
PTR 
Slurrrrrp.  Slurrrrrp.  Slurrrrrrrrp.

Smaller Half
For God's sake - breathe!

PTR
I can't breathe - this is how you get the juice out.

Chalk up another victory for Science! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

PTR,

While following your link, I noticed that Biro's wife was Elsa Schick. Do you reckon she invented the safety razor? If so, what an amazing couple!

PTR said...

Yes, Elsa Schick DID invent the safety razor. Even more amazingly, their daughter Annalisa married Sir Reginald Electricchair who was also a famous inventor!