Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Dead reckoning

I really haven't been myself recently.  I wonder who I have been?

Perhaps I've been you.  You've been reading my blog, so my thoughts have been swirling around in your head, at least briefly.  So in a sense, you've been me.  So someone must have been you.  Maybe it was me.  I must say I don't care for it.

Some of you have blogs that I read.  I must have been you for some of the time when I was reading them.  But it seems unlikely that we were reading each other's blogs at the same time.  I haven't noticed that I've had any absent spells after publishing blog posts when it seems likely that you'd have been reading them.  So during that time when you were me, but I wasn't being you, I must have been a third party.  I wonder what happened to them?

It seems most unlikely to me that this mass transfer of consciousness is somehow magically transitive like a game of musical chairs where nobody loses.  That would require detailed record keeping and would be fraught with coordination problems.

No, the most likely explanation seems to be that during the time when you are reading my blog and hence are being me, I am being inhabited by the spirits of the dead, who have no requirement to be elsewhere urgently.  This is alarming.  If I get too many blog readers, I won't be myself for much of the day.  Hopefully the dead who possess me will have been doctors in real life so I will be able to continue to carry out my daily duties.

Alternatively, how about we all agree that you don't read my blog except between midnight and 6.30am South Australia time, when I am usually in bed.  Sleeping like the dead.

No comments: