Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lost those flat cake blues

Had a great great great great tutorial today from a GP obstetrician with an infectious case of enthusiasm.  I've been pretty down on obs until now, for a pretty pathetic reason.  I've been getting really irked at people who are enthusiastic about obstetrics because they tend to behave like Star Trek fanboyz. 

"Oooh, the placenta is so beautiful!" - that kind of thing.  It shouldn't bother me, but it does.  It's something to do with my total ignorance of obstetrics and those people's patronizing and holier-than-thou attitude towards people like me who are totally ignorant of obstetrics.

All it took today was a teacher who was willing to explain things in simple terms and be encouraging and be understanding of my inability to convert weeks into months or to remember anything to do with fetal development.  When she pushed that plastic doll through that rubber pelvis I had little tears of joy in my eyes!

Oh, and I figured something out which has been confusing me for a while.  Placenta praevia is when the placenta obstructs the uterine outlet.  Placenta primavera is when the placenta is served with brightly coloured fresh spring vegetables.  No wonder I've been getting funny looks in the hospital.

4 comments:

jamie said...

I can't believe you compared obstetrics with Star Trek.

PTR said...

That is the genius of my artistry and the art of my genius.

Anonymous said...

May the forceps be with you.

PTR said...

... nah, I got nothin. Sorry.