Thursday, December 31, 2009

Coffee slurry

So there I was, chilling out in the heat with an iced coffee as I waited for my plane.  I slurped it up through the straw.  Mmmm, delicious.  Odd consistency though - it was very difficult to slurp up the straw and there were some chewy bits in it.  Wait, that must be some kind of coffee or chocolate syrup that has been thickened by the cold of the drink.

But it was a little bit gritty.  Hmm.  I caught some with my tongue and poked it onto my finger to take a look.  Hmm.  Funny colour.  Kind of brown, kind of gray.  Taupe - that's what this colour is called.  A good colour for interior decorating.  Not such a good colour for food.

It didn't look like what I expected it to, so I re-tasted the blob with my tongue.  Nothing in particular.  I smeared it around on my finger with my thumb and tasted it again.  Bland, earthy.  What the heck?

I looked again at the straw.  Metal straw.  I lifted the straw out of the drink.  Uh-oh.  It wasn't a straw, it was a spoon with a hollow handle, open at the top and almost but not quite closed at the bottom.

The truth dawns on me.  Ice cream has been accumulating over time inside the spoon handle and I've managed to slurp up the decomposing sludge and eat it.  Bummer.

The rest of the drink was fine though.  Very refreshing.

No comments: