Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Life is hard, like a diamond

The universe conspired to make me late to uni today.  Here's what it did:
  • One o'clock (pm) start.  The freeway closes at 12.30 pm.  It was always going to be tight.
  • In the car I was listening to the triple CD All Time Greatest Hits Of The 30's (which isn't really "All Time" now is it?) with hits such as "On The Good Ship Lollipop" with Shirley Temple, "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" with Paul Robeson, "Night and Day" with Fred Astaire, and I could go on for 57 more tracks because songs were short back then, but the point of it is that I realized after a while that I was driving at 80 instead of 100 because those classic toe-tappers made me think I was old.
  • Hitting every single traffic light in Morphett Vale, which is a lovely place to whizz past on the freeway but not so fun to negotiate at lunch time when all the bogans are trying to get their utes to McDonalds.
  • Those other (non-medical) uni students are back and had taken all the spots in our car-park so I had to trudge an extra 200 metres or so.
  • And I know you're going to tell me that I should have just left home earlier, and so to you I present the final fact of my case that the universe conspired against me: my watch stopped.
Okay, my whinge is over.  Back to work, people.  This ice-cream isn't going to lick itself!

No comments: