Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Major Major

Got my prac exam at 2pm today. Which means that I have to spend all this morning waiting for it. I don't like afternoon exams. I have a policy of never trying to learn anything new on the day of the exam since I don't think it's worth it. There's a tradeoff between knowing useful information and freaking yourself out. I've got to get myself in The Zone. For me, there is no point stressing myself out trying to get that extra 1% if it means rattling myself and hence losing 10% because I make stupid mistakes.

So that means that I have to spend all this morning revising. And I don't like revising on the day of exams either, for much the same reason. There's always something you thought you knew but now can't remember. And there's not too much point freaking out about it at the last minute. I've made my bed - time to sleep in it. (That's a metaphor - I don't make my bed, nor am I about to go to sleep.) That's why early morning exams are great. You wake up, stagger off to the exam, do it in a daze, and stagger home again. Perfect for suppressing those traumatic memories.

Nevertheless, since my exam isn't until 2pm, it seems a bit stupid to just spend the morning strolling off to the shop for coffee and writing stuff in my blog. So I decided to bust out some old anatomy flash cards that my Smaller Half has, but that I haven't really looked at.

There are a couple of hundred of them just on muscles and bones, which is all I need to know this arvo. At first I was a bit intimidated by how many there were, but the drawings are very good and it turns out that I seem to know most of what I think I need to know (how subjective was that??). So I was just flipping through them, trying to get them right but also trying hard not to try too hard because that might make me freak out.

Then I got to a card with the muscles of the anterior thorax (or as I like to call it, the front of the chest). The card had two numbered arrows, which I believed pointed to the sternal head of pectoralis major and the clavicular head of pectoralis major. Pretty easy. But then I flipped the card over to find that the twits who produced this deck of cards seem to think that the clavicular head of pectoralis major is actually pectoralis minor. Aaargh! You eeeediots!

What the heck is the point of going through flash cards if they are trying to make me learn wrong stuff? Guess I'll go back to strolling around and writing on my blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a Heller of a blog title! Well done PTR!