Sunday, August 2, 2009

蛋挞

Yum cha yesterday! Awesome! Went to place up the snooty end of Greenhill road. The food was good and the prices were cheap (for Adelaide).

Once of my favourites at yum cha is the little egg custard tarts: dan tart (pronounced like dahn tart with a low tone I think). Anyway, yesterday was a bit tragic because as the plate was being passed to me, my dan tart slipped off and fell directly into my tea cup. Bummer. Luckily my Smaller Half took pity on me and I got half of hers.

The great thing about dan tart is not only are they delicious but there's a great song I made up (well, adapted) that you can sing about them, which I sing in the car every time we are going to yum cha to help us get in the mood. If you know the song "Downtown" by Petula Clark (linky) then it's easy. You just sing that song but replace every instance of the word "downtown" with "dan tart".

When you're alone and life is making you lonely, you can always go - dan tart!
When you've got worries all the noise and the noise and the hurry seems to help, I know - dan tart!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those tarts are yum, but I never knew their first name was Dan. I've never stopped to introduce myself.

Is there a link to Karate? Does a 9th Dan blackbelt get to eat more of the tarts?

Anonymous said...

PTR,

That's a great song!

You can also sing "I'm going to eat Dan Tarts" to the tune of "I'm going to Ballydoon" (as heard in The Castle).

PTR said...

Anon1: I'm unaware of any connection between the Cantonese adaption of Portuguese egg tarts and the ranking system of a school of Japanese martial arts, but it sounds like a global conspiracy to me!

Anon2: Thanks for song tip - I'll try it out next time and report back.