Thursday, April 30, 2009

Big cheese goes cold turkey on hot chips

Happy birthday Willie! 76 today.

To celebrate, we drove down the coast to the next town to partake of the Super Schnitzel night at the pub with a couple of friends. I ordered the Mexicana schnitzel. It consists of a plate of chips with a doubled over schnitzel the size of my face on top, with a bowl of nachos emptied over that. Apparently that is what they eat all the time in Mexico.

It was incredibly large, to the point of being actually sickening. I'd eaten 95% of it and was about to announce that I was done, when one of my dining companions remarked that my lack of persistence reflected poorly on my masculinity. So I forced the rest of it down. And hey, I did feel pretty manly for doing so. Unfortunately the waitress then brought out the surprise mudcake that my dining companion had brought along to help celebrate Willie's birthday. Man - what a setup!

Anyway, that's all by way of an introduction to the main thrust of this post, which is that I felt so sick on the way home that I announced that I was going to give up eating chips. Let's face it, if I hadn't had to eat all those hot chips after already eating the nachos and the schnitzel I would have probably been able to eat more of the mudcake.

Giving up eating hot chips is my way of saying "Thanks" to Willie Nelson on his birthday for all his great music, and ensuring that I'll be around to enjoy it for many years to come.

Happy birthday Willie!

No comments: