Monday, March 30, 2009

The little car that could

As I mentioned several aeons ago (link) my Little Red Car tried to asplode on me and has been holidaying at the mechanics ever since. I was really worried because the last time the mechanic looked at it, he thought that it was likely that the head gasket was shot and the head itself would have to be replaced because it had gone soft.

No, I don't know what that means either, but it sounds very expensive. So I was greatly relieved when I spoke to him this afternoon and he said that there didn't seem to be any damage to the engine apart from a little plastic impeller on the water pump which is why the engine overheated so suddenly.

This means that instead of paying thousands for a new engine, I will pay $5 for a new little piece of plastic. Of course, I'll still be in hock for a squillion bucks in labour, but the exciting thing is that the pump failure is covered by my warranty whereas the engine damage due to pump failure would not have been.

I am so happy! Now I just need to pass these exams next week and I promise I'll be good forevermore.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

PTR - just wondering: is "asplode" a typo or an esoteric medical joke?

If it is a medical joke, then I think I've had that particular type of gastro.

PTR said...

Neither, it's just a stupid internet meme that comes from an online comic taking the piss out of bad english in video games. The entire quote is actually "YOUR HEAD A SPLODE!" For some reason it forced its way into my mind while I was writing.

PTR said...

http://prone.to.reverie.asplode.net/

Go and be enlightened.