Sunday, March 1, 2009

Karma Chameleon

Following on from my previous post on personality, I find it really difficult to confront people about things. This means that when I'm sitting in a pleasant seaside cafe with my Smaller Half and my Aged Mother and some boof-head walks in wearing a T-shirt saying, "Australia: f*ck off, we're full!", I have problems. These are the things I considered:
  • Approach the man and inform him that I find his T-shirt offensive.
  • Approach the man and tell him that his shirt is a disgrace to the country.
  • Approach the man and tell him that he's a disgusting redneck pig and it's people like him that make me wish I was from New Zealand.
  • Get a part-time job as a morning barista in that cafe and wait for him to come back so I can give him a little "Coogee Bay Special" in his latte.
This is the cunning plan that I put into practise:
  • Go very quiet and seethe for the rest of the meal, leave the cafe quietly and without incident, then explode an hour later into raving and ranting about how much I hate people like that.
While being diplomatic and good at smoothing things over has its positives, I also really admire people who have the guts to bite the bullet and stand up for what they believe in right there and then. I'm a man without conviction and I hate myself for it.

No comments: