Monday, February 23, 2009

It's not me, it's you

Having my Smaller Half studying medicine at the same time as me is ... interesting. Sometimes, to be honest, it's a real pain in the whatsit, especially when we're both stressed and no-one wants to make the pancakes and sing the special pancake song because exams are looming. But one of the real advantages is that she really understands what I'm going through because 12 months ago, she was me (but smaller and more beautiful).

This was demonstrated to me tonight in the most poignant way I could imagine. I had just finished my regular rant to her in which I got stuck into some serious character assassination of my current nemesis in my course. (It's important to always have a nemesis - someone who dogs your every step, salivating at the thought of your downfall. If you haven't got a nemesis, you might find yourself taking responsibility for your unpleasant circumstances, and who knows what might happen then.) Naturally, although I took great pains to be even-handed in describing the vicissitudes and tribulations wrought on me by this twerp, my Smaller Half came to agree with me that my foe's qualities were not merely galling, but actually deficient.

Then a thoughtful look stole across her eye and she said, "I don't know what it is about medicine that attracts these cockheads."

I couldn't have said it better myself.

No comments: