Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tim Winton no dud

I wish to publicly apologize to Tim Winton for privately vilifying him for years. I was sent a copy of his book Breath by my Aged Mother and now that I have gotten around to reading it, I am really enjoying it. This guy can write!

Somehow I have been labouring under the impression that Tim Winton is a dud. Some kind of Bryce Courtenay clone whose work should appear only in extracts in The Women's Weekly. I don't know why as I have never read any of his books before. I suspect that my innate suspicion of popularity is to blame here. His books were so popular, even amongst people who I knew were not normally avid readers, that I assumed that they must be garbage.

Tim, I am sorry. And I also apologize to anyone who has previously tried to get me to read a Tim Winton book and has had to listen to me ignorantly pooh-pooh their taste in books. How you refrained from punching me in the nose I have no idea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

didn't you find that the ending was a bit dissappointing? like he got bored of the story and finished it in an afternoon...

PTR said...

Yes, I admit the end was a bit of a let down. But the book as a whole was so good that I'm happy to overlook that.

I think he sketched out the main characters well enough that the ending kind of made sense. I was thinking of it while I read it as a kind of extended version of the "where are they now" captions you sometimes see at the end of movies. "Artoo Detoo went on to become a successful bonds trader at a major Corellian investment bank."

The other possibility is that since several people warned me that the end was a bit off, I was mentally steeled for something much worse, so in comparison it seemed great.