Sunday, September 28, 2008

Three things

1. I just made my first batch of sourdough from Brett. It's going to rise overnight (I hope).

2. This morning I found 5 dead bees on the floor of the study and on my desk. Is this some kind of creepy omen? Or perhaps a message of good fortune from the gods? Any theories?

3. While listening to the Johnny Cash song Folsom Prison Blues I thought I heard him sing "I shot a man in renal just to watch him die". I think my brain is obsessed with the current block at uni: renal. Of course the (fictional) man was actually shot in Reno. I may the first person to ever report this particular mondegreen. What an achievement.

Thanks for your attendance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey PTR,

What are the chances of it being fatal if you are shot in the kidneys?

Presumably the medical services in Reno are so ordinary (or at least they were in Johny's day) that being shot there was almost bound to be fatal?

Ta

PTR said...

That's a great question - it's exactly the kind of thing that a doctor should know, and it's exactly the kind of thing that I hope doesn't get asked in my Renal exam in three weeks. (three weeks? eek!) But here's my best guess:

Considering the kidneys take about 20% of your circulating blood volume, I'd say that the chance of bleeding to death if you were shot in the kidneys would be quite high. Even if you survived that you'd still almost certainly have a perforated peritoneum and you'd develop sepsis and die.

Serves you right for calling your boy Sue!