Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Panic stations!


Today I hit the wall. In an attempt to overcompensate for my recent slackness, I downloaded waaaay too much detailed technical info on the condition of the week: Acute Tubular Necrosis. Then I sat down and attempted to get through it all at 8 am this morning before my 10:30 am clinical skills tute (summary: poke someone in the gut and they'll scream if it hurts).

When I started to get overwhelmed I tried to read faster. Then I tried to read only every second sentence, then only every second sentence in every second paragraph, then I tried skipping pages, and it ended up making about as much sense as if I had skipped every second letter.

I caught up with my Smaller Half at lunch time and the first thing she said to me was, "What happened to you?" - presumably because I looked like someone had hit me over the head with a textbook and told me to beg for more like I meant it.

The whole thing put me in a foul mood and I became convinced I was going to fail. Then I turned up to my afternoon tute and was reassured that it's going to be okay. Mechanisms, mechanisms, mechanisms. I can do mechanisms, one by one, and put the pieces together. And I can do it in time for my exams in three weeks. No, really I can.

Inhaaaaale. Exhaaaaale.

No comments: