Sunday, August 24, 2008

Closing ceremony

I watched the closing ceremony of the Olympics just now. Man - what's in the water over there in Beijing? That was some freaky stuff going on. People flying around on giant drums? Men bouncing on their back on portable trampolines? There was a real Dr Seuss quality to the whole thing, but without the catchy rhymes. I kept expecting elephants wearing tutus and balancing bowls of goldfish on their heads to ride in on tiny little bicycles, but it didn't happen.

My favourite part of the ceremony was the speech by the Chinese President, Hu Jintao. Mr Hu spoke in Mandarin, but I was fortunate enough to be able to bring you this translation from the Australian Athletic Team's un-official translator for the Games:

Hu Jintao
(translation from Mandarin by Sally McLellan)

Oh my god! Is this for real? Did we just run the Olympics? Did you see it? I told China to host the Olympics and they did and we won lots of medals! Did you see me at the opening ceremony? I was so pumped! I have never been so pumped in my life! The torch got lit up and I just thought "Go for it! You're running the country! Do it!" and I did! Shit! I finally ran the Olympics! Oh my God!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bahahahhahaaaa - touche!

You are so right that Sally's interview was the most intense and surreal moment of the Olympics. For me, they'll always be Sally's Olympics, just as Sydney was Cathy's.

Sally made a much bigger impression than the Lighting Bolt and Michael Phelps (impressive as they were).

PTR said...

She was certainly memorable but for me they will always be the Matthias Steiner Olympics. He was fantastic - but since he was fantastic in a fantastic way rather than a borderline deranged way like Sally McLellan I couldn't figure out how to write anything funny about him.