Sunday, April 13, 2008

Freaky! Alexander's Bum - Yep!

Last night I came within one letter of the alphabet (and about 50 cm) of being able to slap Alexander Downer's bare buttocks! Oh so close, yet so far.

Okay, confession time. It wasn't the real Alexander Downer, it was an actor playing him in the Adelaide show of Keating! The Musical. The Hon. Mr Downer came down into the audience during his big number, "I'm Just Too Freaky", dressed in fishnet stockings and a black corset over bike pants and threw himself all over the front row. At that stage, I was relaxed and comfortable, since I was in seat G37, quite a few rows back, on the side aisle. However, the Hon. Mr Downer announced that he was a naughty boy who needed to be spanked, turned around, pulled down his pants, and shimmied his way up the aisle towards me. Fortunately, someone else was the apple of his eye: the lady sitting directly in front of me in seat F37.

He wiggled his butt around in front of her for a few seconds and she really looked like she wasn't into audience participation that much. I was seriously considering leaning forward and having a swing myself when the Hon. Mr Downer turned his head and said, "I can wait all night sweetie!", and she caved in and swatted him lightly across the buttocks, and the show got back on track. Gold.

Keating! is a great show. You probably wouldn't like it much if you're not fairly leftish in your persuasion; on the other hand, apparently Peter Costello went to see it a few years ago and killed himself laughing, so who knows? Also, unless you follow politics and have done so since the early 90's, some of it may not register. Still - I think it's worth seeing even if you don't fit in that ideal demographic. It's clever enough and irreverent enough to get some laughs no matter who you are.

My favourite moment? John Howard's 1996 election campaign featuring him stamping his way back around the country dressed in his green tracksuit, his army fatigues, and his moleskins and chambray shirt and extremely flat Akubra, singing "on the Mate-ship, anchors away, we'll let you know if you're welcome to stay!". It was so good I think that song belongs on the next release of Pop Star!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

PTR,

I like the back-linkages (OOohhh, err - there's a pun) from Alexander's bottom to your earlier posting on Pop Star - but where was the hyperlink?

Why not use the HTML and make these clever cross references easier for we gentle readers to appreciate?

But - let's not pick-nits - good blog PTR (and a BIG thanks for not including any photos of Alex recumbent).

PS Why do I have to type in wavy underwater letters? Is that to verify that my keyboard isn't stolen?

Anonymous said...

PTR, I am so disappointed that you didn't slap when presented with the opportunity (even if it was an actor playing Downer). However, I am pleased to report that Keating! is returning to Canberra and so I will get the chance to see it and perhaps engage in some audience participation. I think I will request an aisle seat...