Monday, March 10, 2008

Secrets of graceful living

In theory, I should be studying my arse off. It's a long weekend here, I'm in the 6th week of semester, and I didn't do much work for the last 3 weeks, so I'm already behind. In practise, I spent today eating and sleeping. Why?

Because, gentle Reader, the first Secret of Graceful Living is that it's always okay to take a study break to eat, or to sleep. (It's also okay to take a break to attend to personal hygiene or waste disposal, but most people have figured that out for themselves already.) Sleeping and eating are really important. I'm a medical student, so believe me. We haven't got to those particular topics yet in the course, but I am very confident that my belief will be confirmed. Sleeping and eating may seem like egregious wastes of time*, but in fact they are investments. Time spent doing these things make your subsequent study more effective. They are synergistic, if you will. They leverage your intellect. They are force-multipliers in the asymmetric war on ignorance. And I am right there on the front line.


* Blogging, on the other hand, is an egregious waste of time.

No comments: